[plug] debian console screen size

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Sat Oct 29 15:06:37 WST 2005

Caleb Duggan wrote:
> My laptop has debian on it and i boot straight into the console.  How do
> I  change the resolution of the console so that it takes up the whole
> screen?  - I have tried adding vga=ask in to my menu.lst file for grub
> and, none of  the modes it lists make it use the whole screen, they just
> make the text  smaller but it stays in the same area.
>
> any help will be appreciated.

You'll probably need to use a frame buffer console, either using the
VESA frame buffer or (preferably, since vesafb can be slow) direct
hardware support for your laptop.

Some info on the VESA frame buffer can be found in the Documentation/
directory in the kernel sources, and there's probably info on tldp.net
and elsewhere on setting up a frame buffer console. Try google with:

     linux  howto OR "how to"  vesafb OR fbcon OR "framebuffer console"

to get you started.

--
Craig Ringer