[plug] Flame war bait - Ubuntu vs Kubuntu

Richard Meyer meyerri at westnet.com.au
Sat Oct 29 21:08:17 WST 2005

Hi all,

I've been noticing this phenomenon of Ubuntu, and decided to install it
and try it - just to give it a go - I'm trying to get up to speed on
Gentoo atm, so I don't have a lot of time to play.

I installed it and, to be honest, I was very impressed. I even like the
brown colour scheme ;-)

The only thing I didn't like was the fact that it had Gnome as the
desktop - I'm much more used to KDE (I liked the way Gnome was set up,
and I would be able to use it, I'm sure), so I decided to try Kubuntu.

Now, my impressions were somewhat different - I'd have to say that this
was the poor relation of the pair. Nothing seemed to work nicely. Ubuntu
set up my apt repositories as close as possible (all .au sites), Kubuntu
wants to talk to sites in the US, which don't seem to be answering).

Ubuntu allows you to make system changes - DHCP to static IP's with very
little problem - Kubuntu tells me to click on the "Work as
administrator" button, which I can't see, even after hiding the KDE
taskbar. It falls outside my screen when I run at 1024x768 - I could
carry on. There's no synaptic by default for example.

All you guys who are passionate about Ubuntu - are any of you using
Kubuntu?

Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation.
                -- Johnny Hart

Linux Counter user #306629