[plug] Flame war bait - Ubuntu vs Kubuntu

Richard Meyer meyerri at westnet.com.au
Sun Oct 30 12:39:05 WST 2005

On Sat, 2005-10-29 at 23:55 +0800, Mr Shayne wrote:
> Part of what I like about Ubuntu is also what I like about gnome, and this
> is a personal thing btw, is that its minimalism seems to get out the way
> and let one work.

Yep, it is nice - sparse, but has everything necessary.

> Because of that I really am not keen on this whole kububtu thing. What KDE
> does well is have heaps of usefull stuff. What Gnome does is keep it
> simple and effective. I think the gnome philosophy is more in tune with
> ubuntu , whereas gnome is more in tune with the likes of Knoppix.
                   ^^^^^    I suspect you may mean KDE, here  ;-)
>From my *VAST* experience with Kubuntu - about 30 mins before I decided
it was like pushing needles into my eyes. I'd agree.

I think I *could* get used to Ubuntu and like it (a lot). I doubt I'd
ever get used to Kubuntu, at least not while there are pre-rolled
distros out there that have done KDE so much better.

I have to admit I never really got to know Gnome, because by the time
Linux was usable as a desktop OS, the only "mainstream", "up-to-date"
distro that installed Gnome by default was RH, and they'd Bluecurved it
to a fare-thee-well - so much so that all I saw was a fairly awkward KDE
instead of Gnome. Why use a crippled KDE, when you can use the real
one? /rhetorical question/

> But thats just my feeling. Your mileage may vary.

I suspect we are 100% in agreement here.

> --
> Freedom's just another word for something new to regulate
>
> On Sat, 29 Oct 2005, Richard Meyer wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've been noticing this phenomenon of Ubuntu, and decided to install it
> > and try it - just to give it a go - I'm trying to get up to speed on
> > Gentoo atm, so I don't have a lot of time to play.
> >
> > I installed it and, to be honest, I was very impressed. I even like the
> > brown colour scheme ;-)
> >
> > The only thing I didn't like was the fact that it had Gnome as the
> > desktop - I'm much more used to KDE (I liked the way Gnome was set up,
> > and I would be able to use it, I'm sure), so I decided to try Kubuntu.
> >
> > Now, my impressions were somewhat different - I'd have to say that this
> > was the poor relation of the pair. Nothing seemed to work nicely. Ubuntu
> > set up my apt repositories as close as possible (all .au sites), Kubuntu
> > wants to talk to sites in the US, which don't seem to be answering).
> >
> > Ubuntu allows you to make system changes - DHCP to static IP's with very
> > little problem - Kubuntu tells me to click on the "Work as
> > administrator" button, which I can't see, even after hiding the KDE
> > taskbar. It falls outside my screen when I run at 1024x768 - I could
> > carry on. There's no synaptic by default for example.
> >
> > All you guys who are passionate about Ubuntu - are any of you using
> > Kubuntu?

Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation.
                -- Johnny Hart

Linux Counter user #306629