[plug] Turning an out of date PC into a linux home entertainment thingymabob?

Gavan Blunt gavan at iinet.net.au
Mon Oct 31 17:00:17 WST 2005

>>On 10/31/05, Gavan Blunt <gavan at iinet.net.au> wrote:
>>

>>>I have a Topfield TF5000PVRi, and can tell you its the best thing I've
>>>bought in many a year.
>>>

>>yeah, thats the beastie I'm looking at.. :-)
>>I heard a rumour that they're Linux based as well...
>>

>>--
>>

> It has a USB connection, but requires proprietory (windows-only)
> software to connect to it.  However, it does also have a few upgrades
> and additions that you can either write yourself or download to your,
> then compile in cygwin & copy it to the device.  I must admit I
> haven't played with it much, I've just used it in the role it was made
> for, but having had a look at their website they seem to be making a
> point of not mentioning linux on it anywhere.  I wonder if they are
> just trying not to turn anyone off it?
> (My biggest issue with the box, by the way, is that if I copy any
> recorded programs off it onto my PC, the only player that will
> actually play it is mplayer.  Not sure what the format is).
>
> Gavan.

And just to bring this completely back on topic for a linux list, I've
just done a quick google search & discovered that there is some software
called puppy (and an associated gui called guppy) which gives the same
file transfer ability under linux as is available from the proprietory
windows-only program.  I've installed it & it works as advertised.

Gavan Blunt.