[plug] Mozilla Firefox

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Fri Sep 2 02:26:30 WST 2005

Firefox appeared to have crashed on me today. The Load Average meter
accelerated up to 100%, then the system hung. I was composing an email
message using PINE, then tried to send it, and the system died. Thwere
was nothing special about the message, that would have caused a system
crash. All that I had open, was PINE and Firefox.

When I reset the system, and tried to run Firefox, it kept coming up
with a dialogue box relating to profiles, showing one profile named
default, and when I clicked <OK>, it displayed another dialogue box that
said that that profile was in use and that I needed to delete it or
create another one.

After doing a normal reboot of the system, the problem prevailed.

I created a new profile, using the default title, of DefaultUser.

Then, when I next ran Firefox, it loaded and ran, without going via
the profile dialogue box (no option to select which profile), all my
settings and bookmarks had gone, and the fonts appear to have changed.

There appears to be no way of selecting which profile to run, when more
than one profile, exists.

I tried the "Help" facility (not very helpful), and it had no entry for
profiles.

I did an ls -al of the home directory, found .mozilla, did an ls -al  of
that, found .mozilla/firefox, did an ls -al of that, and found two
files, deafult and DefaultUser, both created within the last 24 hours,
so the p[revioous settings appear to have been destroyed.

Is there any way of recovering the previous settings, or does Firefox
just destroy them so they cannot be recovered?

Thanks in anticipation.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale