[plug] Mozilla Firefox

Arie Hol arie99 at ozemail.com.au
Fri Sep 2 12:41:52 WST 2005

On 2 Sep 2005 at 2:26, Bret Busby wrote:

> I created a new profile, using the default title, of DefaultUser.

When you create a new profile for another user, Firefox creates a new directory for each user
containing files relevant to that user - your original settings are not "destroyed or missing.

They are in the directory for the "original " user.

> There appears to be no way of selecting which profile to run, when more
> than one profile, exists.

If you want to get a profile selection dialogue every time you start Firefox - you need to
 "edit"  the shortcut to Firefox and add the switch '-p' at the end of the command.

> Is there any way of recovering the previous settings, or does Firefox
> just destroy them so they cannot be recovered?

Create a new default user/profile - then you should get a choice of which "user/profile" directory
to use  - if so then navigate to the directory that contains the "original" user/profile files and
bookmark files - and select it.

If you decide you want to delete a "user/profile" - you should be given the option to "keep" or
"delete" the directory for the user/profile - I suggest you keep it so you can use it for other
profiles and/or recover any bookmark files.

TIP :

Find your bookmark file/s - then create a new directory in a safe place - copy bookmark file/s to
that directory - (adding a number suffix to each file if there is more than one).

Then create "new" bookmark/s in your browser to point to the copy of the bookmark file/s in the new
directory.

If you have a large collection of bookmarks, it is much easier browse a page of bookmarks than to
dig - dig -dig through your bookmark menu system.

Create a script to update the safe copies of these new bookmark files, so that your safe copies are
kept up to date with the bookmarks in your browser. Run the script using cron or from your .profile
at boot time or configure the script to run when your system shuts down.

HTH

Regards Arie