[plug] Advice before change to zencart MySQL database

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Sat Sep 3 23:13:59 WST 2005

On Sat, 2005-09-03 at 22:54, Russell Steicke wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 03, 2005 at 10:26:28PM +0800, Chris Caston wrote:
> > Is there a way I can make a copy of the database or something that would
> > allow a bit of change management?
> >
> > I'm very wet behind the ears with MySQL and am currently using
> > MyPHPadmin to do most of the work.
>
> phpmyadmin (is that what you meant?) has an export option that can
> create an sql file with SQL to recreate the database.  I'd check the
> 'Add DROP TABLE' and 'Add IF NOT EXISTS' options as well to make sure
> you get clean copies of the old tables when you recreate them.
>
> There doesn't seem to be a way to reload the database via phpmyadmin.
> Perhaps you have to do 'mysql dbname < file.sql'.
>
> Or you could look into the mysqldump program, which will do the same
> thing.

Thanks,

I used mysqldump and piped the output through scp to the file zencart2
on my desktop machine and then created a new database called zencart2 in
phpMyadmin. I then cut and paste the MySQL commands into the "Run
SQL/queries on database" box and hit "go"

Seems to have created it fine. I will try changing to this database in
my zencart configuration and see how it goes.

I might get some sleep first though as otherwise I'll get "owned"
tomorrow morning by the early birds in this house.

regards,

Chris