[plug][OT] Who's a Good Hardware Supplier in Perth?

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Mon Sep 5 22:06:36 WST 2005

Ari Finander wrote:

> I like:
>
> Trinix
> PLE
> Netplus

PLE are pretty good for components, and the one time I've had to get
them to exchange parts under warranty I've not had problems.  I'm not
sure I'd trust 'em to put a machine together though.

Netplus I've recently had bad experiences with - it took me 45 minutes
to convince them to replace a hard drive which had bad sectors and
failed the SMART self-test.  Their excuses began with "there's nothing
wrong with it", then "we don't normally exchange things for a new part
after a month" (bah! it had a 5-year warranty from Seagate), then "we
have some in stock but _can't find it_" !?!? and eventually gave me a
replacement of a different brand of hard drive.

> I've used other retailers less, but I look at MCG, Simline, and
> Trinix as well as those listed above. Not sure about Austin, I still
> think of them as pretty dodgy, but when I had a warranty issue (and
> I hated purchasing from them in the first place from past
> experiences, but I needed a part that day and they had it in stock)
> recently they swapped the board over without hassle.

I've not had problems with Austin when it comes to buying components
or getting faulty parts swapped.  _However_ the Austin's in Osborne
Park is quite anti-Linux, or at least seemed quite hostile when we
went around there trying to get them to put up some installfest flyers
last year; you might want to avoid them for that reason, but I'd note
that most hardware places around here are Windows shops and unlikely
to have any Linux clue anyway.

MCG seem okay, although haven't used them very much.

Cameron.