[plug] Debian, fetchmail, ssh port forward

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Wed Sep 7 08:50:16 WST 2005

Hi all,

My reading of the documentation suggests that I can setup a preconnect
line that sets up port forwarding so fetchmail can connect to a local
port and end up at the remote server across an ssh tunnel. This is all fine.

Here's where I come unstuck:

    ssh is setup with a key pair, to allow passwordless login. How do I
    get fetchmail to use my keys?

Bear in mind that fetchmail runs as the fetchmail user and I'm
suspecting it wouldn't be a great idea to copy my keys into the
/var/run/fetchmail/.ssh directory.

How am I supposed to do this?

    Also, how do I tear down the tunnel after we're done with a mail poll?

Cheers,

--
Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 at S34°45'36.5" - E139°00'08.7" (Mount Pleasant, SA)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..