[plug] Setting up a non-profit/not-for-profit org

Kirk Turner gameldar at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 12:34:14 WST 2005

I'm looking to get some advice from those that have been through this,
and can give some practical experience, and info.
An open-source project I'm involved in has had offers for donations to
support the work that we do. We have been wondering about the
possibility of setting up some sort of legal identity - with the idea
that we can open a bank account in the said name and accept the
donations and any other funds that come about.

What format would this normally follow, e.g. non-profit/not-for-profit
organisation, an association? The majority of developers are in the US
- would they have any different system that might be an advantage over
Australian regulations?

One of the issues here is what is the threshold in terms of monetry
donations to make any of these viable (e.g. it looks like an
incorporated association has an initial set up fee, and needs to hold
yearly AGMs, and a public available consitution).

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Kirk