[plug] Setting up a non-profit/not-for-profit org

Arie Hol arie99 at ozemail.com.au
Wed Sep 7 13:49:04 WST 2005

On 7 Sep 2005 at 12:34, Kirk Turner wrote:

> I'm looking to get some advice from those that have been through this,
> and can give some practical experience, and info.
> An open-source project I'm involved in has had offers for donations to
> support the work that we do. We have been wondering about the
> possibility of setting up some sort of legal identity - with the idea
> that we can open a bank account in the said name and accept the
> donations and any other funds that come about.
>
> What format would this normally follow, e.g. non-profit/not-for-profit
> organisation, an association? The majority of developers are in the US
> - would they have any different system that might be an advantage over
> Australian regulations?
>
> One of the issues here is what is the threshold in terms of monetry
> donations to make any of these viable (e.g. it looks like an
> incorporated association has an initial set up fee, and needs to hold
> yearly AGMs, and a public available consitution).
>
> Any advice would be appreciated!
>
> Thanks,

Try the Small Business Development Corporation  - at 555 hay St Perth, (near Pier St)

They have all the information and facilities you need to get you "informed" - you can also sit down
and talk to a counsellor - but I think they charge a fee.

They can also help with the registration and legal aspects

Good luck.

Regards Arie