[plug] Distributed files systems (AFS)

Ryan ryan at is.as.geeky.as
Thu Sep 8 10:11:33 WST 2005

Not much comment from me - just alternatives:

Considered WebDAV?  Many clients support this natively, Apache and IIS
can serve it.

You could then pay a small fee and get a product called WebDrive for the
Windows client which will mount a WebDAV server as a drive letter, so
it's seamless to the user.  Will provide full file locking and doesn't
require any major changes to what you already have.  WebDrive will also
natively SSH tunnel the connection if you wish for better security.

If file locking is not needed, then you can also use WebDrive via FTP.

SMB over any link is a pain.

Novell iFolder is another option too .. if you want to rip everything
out and put in a Novell infrastructure - like we just did here (all
running on Linux) :)

Regards,

Ryan