[plug] vmware vs wine for virus susceptability

Senectus . senectus at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 12:32:10 WST 2005

Taking this off the the other thread.. Randal doesn't deserve to have
his thread hijacked.

On 9/8/05, Mr Shayne <shayne at guild.murdoch.edu.au> wrote:

> I'm going to beg to differ. I managed to get bloody gator installed(!) on
> a window machine by running ie under vanilla wine (Hint: Getting wine
> actually useable is all in the DCOM stuff) , whereas VMWare runs
> everything in a little sandbox.

That's all well and good, but if your using vmware for anything other
than testing your going to have it interacting with files on the local
disc.
Then not only are you susceptible to the "installed" virus'/Trojans
and spyware but to the "open Operating System" flaws we all know so
well in Windows.
At least with Wine and Crossover Office your limited only to the type
of infections that will happen when you install something.
When you close the app, the infection is neutralized, when you close
an app in vmware the infection is still rampant.

Most uses of vmware I've seen people leave the os running almost all
the time, for speed and ease of use, excuse the pun but that's like
leaving a windows open in a high crime rate area.

--
Ubuntu Hoary 5.04
"Luminocity is a cracktastic technology testbed for Metacity." - From