[plug] [Slightly OT] Wireless ISP companies

Steve Boak sboak at westnet.com.au
Thu Sep 8 16:20:16 WST 2005

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 03:52 pm, Senectus . wrote:
> On 9/8/05, Steve Boak <sboak at westnet.com.au> wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > I am looking at selling our town to the devil (well, a wireless broadband
> > company really, but what's the difference if I choose the wrong one :-)
> > and I would like to know if anyone has experience with the companies
> > concerned.
> >
> > The two companies are:
> > Clear Networks: http://www.clearnetworks.com.au/
> > BroadbandNet: http://www.bbnet.com.au
> >
> > I know there has been a lot of (bad) comments about Clear Networks on the
> > Whirlpool forums, so I am looking for real, on-the-ground experience if
> > possible please.
> >
> > The link to PLUG? The selected provider will connect the rest of the
> > world to my Debian Server, hopefully at 1.5Mb/512k - 1000 times faster
> > than my current phone line :=)
>
> I'm pretty sure there is a Perth based wireless ISP called uh..
> metronet or some such..?
> Also you could always go halves with a mate in a fast DSL link and VPN
> it via the WA FREENET :-)

Sorry, should have said the town is Nannup, about 300Km south of Perth.
Population of the shire is about 1200, with 600 in town and the rest spread
over the entire shire. An ISP's nightmare, unless of course they are getting
the HiBIS funding of (I believe) about $3000 per signup, in which case they
are probably rubbing their hands and waiting to jump on us :-)

Nearest FreeNet cell is Busselton, still 60km and several large hills away :-(

Steve

--
Steve Boak, P.O. Box 240, Nannup, WA 6275
Nannup Telecentre IT support, ph (08) 9756 3022