[plug] [OT] Digital still camera batteries

Ari Finander outrider at operamail.com
Sun Sep 11 21:53:25 WST 2005

I used to use the energizer rechargable batteries (Bunnings and OfficeWorks and about everywhere else stock them) in my old PowerShot A40 but last your I got a Maha MH-C401FS charger and some Powerex (same brand, just different name) batteries from thomasdistributing.com (there's a NZ outfit that sells these, too) and I have been completely happy. The Powerex batteries come highly recommended on the Usenet digital photography group as does the charger. It's a chip based charger, not a time based one, so you can charge higher rated batteries in it and have them fill to capacity. Most of the chargers I've seen sold in common stores around Perth are timer based, which means that they won't charge newer batteries to capacity and they'll kill NiCd batteries. The powerex batteries work so much better than higher rated energizer ones. On a somewhat related note, Australian PC User magazine recently tested NiMH AA batteries and found that the Dick Smith branded ones were better than their ratings. From my experience with Dick Smith AAA NiMH batteries, I have to concur with the PCUser testing.

HTH,

Ari