[plug][OT] Who's a Good Hardware Supplier in Perth?

Ari Finander outrider at operamail.com
Sun Sep 11 21:42:27 WST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: simon <simon at plumtek.com>
To: plug at plug.org.au
Subject: Re: [plug][OT] Who's a Good Hardware Supplier in Perth?
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 10:17:56 +0000

> Leon Blackwell (leon at lostrealm.com) wrote:
>
> > Oh, and I'll agree in with the Austin Computers theme -- often very
> > cheap, but terrible service, bad attitude, and a nasty habit of not
> > having stock for things advertised at cheap prices, even after phoning
> > up to check first.  Somehow they always happen to have stock of a
> > slightly more expensive alternative, though.
>
> A friend was told once that he was "crazy if he thought he'd actually get the
> advertised price", by one of the guys at Austin. The guy admitted to his face
> that they advertise to get people in the door, then try to sell them something
> more expensive.

Reminds me of what originally turned me off to Austin (among hearing many other bad reports): I went in their with an advert for a couple of sticks of RAM. Nowhere in the advert did it say that prices may vary without notice. The advert was printed THAT DAY. They refused to honour the price. I was not pleased at having driven all the way to Osborne Park on a very hot day in order to get the 'austin experience'. I have to reiterate what others have said in this thread about calling in advance when going to Austin (either store). Even when I called in advance there was a problem finding the component they were holding for me, and the price they range up wasn't accurate. Not to mention that the senior staff seem fairly rude, like 'I should be earning billions somewhere else and I don't want to be here, so I don't want you to be here either'. I may have gotten the wrong impression (on both recent occaisions), but...

Ari