[plug] Good RAID Howto

Shannon Carver Shannon.Carver at P-S-T.COM.AU
Mon Sep 12 10:22:49 WST 2005

Hi,

I'd almost garuntee with an HP NetServer, you'd have a professional
hardware RAID controller.  The way to check for that is when the machine
boots up, the PC will POST, before it boots the operating system, it'll
usually prompt you momentarily for SCSI and or RAID setup panels
(Usually with a key combination to enter them, one of the FX keys, or
Ctrl+H, although can be anything really).

I've got a couple of servers here at work with Compaq Smart Array2
cards.  When you enter the setup for the cards, you get a BIOS like
screen asking you to create/change/remove active array's.  You can setup
your raid array here.

The catch with using the raid controllers, is linux will pick the drives
up as a different device, for instance, our Compaq cards create devices
such as:
/dev/c0dp1-x where c0 is the first array, and p1 is the partition on
that array.

Of course, if the scsi drives are hanging off a plain scsi adapter, you
should see them detected on bootup, or by reading /var/log/dmesg and
looking for:
Dmesg | grep sd

Which will usually list all scsi devices found at bootup.

Hope this helps

Regards

Shannon