[plug] mythtv, HDTV card

Jim Householder nofixed at westnet.com.au
Mon Sep 12 17:13:12 WST 2005

Mike Holland wrote:

> The analog port is for recording from your old VHS tapes, camera,
> or Foxtel box.
>
> You could use an old VCR as a tuner for the odd occasion you want to
> watch analog TV. I can't think why though, unless you like Channel 31.

I did think about using the tuner from an old VCR.
However, since its output to the TV is on an analog channel rather
  than simple composite video, I would have to tap the circuit just
before the channel frequency was added.  Interesting exercise.

I live in Collie, where only ABC and SBS are digital at this point.
I still need analog to get GWN and WIN.  31 is not available.

>> I was hoping to use mythtv to watch HDTV.  Oh well...
without having to boot Windows XP!

> You could start just trying to get the DVB card working with the simple
> dvbstream program. Once you know the card is working, then try MythTV.
>
> There are two steps
> 1) load all the modules. (mine uses 16 of them!)
> 2) call 'dvbstream' from a script with all the right parameters.
>
> But at least the drivers are included with the standard kernel.

Thanks.  I'll give it a try.
> Have you found the Linux info for that card?
> e.g.
>
> http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Kworld_V-Stream_Xpert_DTV

I did, but apparently forgot what I read.