[plug] Good Hardware supplier in Perth

Steve Boak sboak at westnet.com.au
Tue Sep 13 09:17:34 WST 2005

Hmm, I'll have to add my piece here...

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 07:20 pm, christopher whittaker wrote:

> Firstly thanks to all those who answered my query on MINITAB, it has
> been very helpful and pointed me in the right direction.
>
> Secondly , there seems to be some ongoing discussion about a good
> hardware supplier for Perth and PLE has come up on a few occassions.
>
> I have found by my own experience to find PLE are rabid anti Linux and
> will not even enter into discussions about whether something is Linux
> compatible regardless of driver support for the component or it saying
> so on the box.

I have been using PLE for the last three or four years, probably only every
couple of months or so though, without any problems. I have bought around ten
complete systems over that time (mostly as separate components) and many
other parts, some directly at the shop and others over the phone to be
couriered down to Nannup.

The same staff seem to have been there for as long as I can remember, they
have been very helpful with any question related to the hardware itself, and
most of the sales people seem to know their stock backwards.

With the number of people standing in line to be served on some days (some
overheard to be extremely ignorant customers) it does sometimes take a while
to get served, but they have my utmost respect respect for remaining calm and
helpful. No way I could handle that :-)

Admittedly I have never asked 'does this work with Linux?' - I always go there
to buy a specific piece of equipment after I have done the research and
checked the prices.

And as with most interactions with other people, it often makes a huge
difference how you approach them in the first place :-)

Steve

--
Steve Boak, P.O. Box 240, Nannup, WA 6275
Nannup Telecentre IT support, ph (08) 9756 3022