[plug] Good Hardware supplier in Perth

Jonathan Young jonathan at pcphix.com
Tue Sep 13 11:03:15 WST 2005

As a supplier of hardware in Perth, I support Linux and don't mind
saying so.

As an onsite tech support service, not one of my current clients owns
any kind of Server other than a Linux-based one.

The problem, if anything, is that mainstream hardware manufacturers
often provide their specifications and system requirements in terms of
Windows compatibility to make it easier for your average end-user (can I
write Windows gumby here?) to walk up to the product on the shelf and
figure out, on the spot, whether or not it will work.  For this to
change, requires more hardware /manufacturers/ checking out the Linux
compatibility ahead of time.

However, as a supplier of hardware this is something that I have always
been more than happy to do.  I will usually then provide my source,
"according to ...... this should be what you are after" and leave it up
to the client to decide if they need to do more research or not before
purchasing.  I personally really like Linux users as clients because
they typically come right out and say I need this item by this
manufacturer and know in advance how much they are willing to spend.

Though for many of these people, ordering online tends to work better
than a retail store therefore...

Phillip Kilby wrote:

>None of the hardware suppliers in Perth state that they support linux?
>
>Normally I try to research if it works in linux before I buy it anyway.
>
>Maybe a list of basic hardware that is better supported in linux
>should be put somewhere, for all to see. Maybe even link each item to
>a list of locations that stock the item(s).
>
>Phillip.
>

>On 9/13/05, skribe <skribe at amber.com.au> wrote:
>

>>On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 09:17, Steve Boak wrote:
>>

>>>Admittedly I have never asked 'does this work with Linux?'
>>>

>>I have and while they didn't know offhand they went and checked for me.  Very
>>cool service and the new Bentley store is so much more convenient than
>>Wangara.  I definitely recommend PLE.
>>
>>skribe
>>--
>>Public key information available at:
>>http://www.amber.com.au/~skribe/publickey.html
>>Key fingerprint = 567A E91E E729 ACC2 4E34 CA8B FD0A F77D 8F00 EC47
>>
>>        Idaho state law makes it illegal for a man to give his sweetheart
>>a box of candy weighing less than fifty pounds.
>>
>>Xaraya Content Management Solutions http://www.xaraya.com/

Jonathan Young
Director of PC-PHIX
jonathan at pcphix.com