[plug] Good RAID Howto

Ben Jensz plug at jensz.id.au
Wed Sep 14 14:54:53 WST 2005

So are you running RAID5 or RAID1 with a hot spare?  If you're running
RAID5 you should have approximately 73Gb of space with 3x 36Gb drives in
RAID5, or if you're running RAID1 with a hot spare then you'd only have
36Gb.

Look up the Global Array Manager (GAM) software on LSI Logic's web site
for the MegaRAID card you've got and install that.  You'll have to
install the server software for Linux on the box and run the client
software to connect to the server on a Windows machine as there isn't a
client for Linux.

But from there you can check out the current status and setup of
physical drives on the RAID controller without having to reboot the
box.  You should be able to see the additional drives attached to the
controller that you've added as well.

/ Ben