[plug] Eternal laptop questions - continued

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Thu Sep 15 04:57:38 WST 2005

Richard Meyer wrote:

> 1) Do Linux and XP both get the same battery saving with Centrino's. I
> haven't found any articles where it compares Win XP and Linux $DISTRO on
> the same hardware ito battery life. Any info?

I had a Dell Lattitude D610 1.8MHZ machine with 80GB hard disk and 1GB of ram for 3 months Dual boot
WinXP/Linux 2.6.

The battery life was about equal.. WinXP was probably a little better but only because I did not
have laptop mode enabled and thus never spun down the disk, and also did not timeout the backlight
as quickly under linux. Software Suspend 2 also worked out of the box.