[plug] Eternal laptop questions - continued

Richard Meyer meyerri at westnet.com.au
Tue Sep 13 15:26:53 WST 2005

Hi guys,

Obviously the best lappies ito battery life are the Centrino based ones.
But, I got thinking, after I saw an article on Tom's hardware, comparing
similar Centrino and Sempron laptops (Lifebooks in this case), and that
got me thinking, such that I have a few questions.

1) Do Linux and XP both get the same battery saving with Centrino's. I
haven't found any articles where it compares Win XP and Linux $DISTRO on
the same hardware ito battery life. Any info?

2) What support does $DISTRO have for the Sempron power saving tech? ie
since AMD chips are generally a good buy (pricewise), do they make
decent lappies for Linux? - I have seen stories of Linux being
installed, but not much quantitative re battery life.

I see that Compaq is selling a Turion lappie (64-bit) for a good price.
Anybody got one and prepared to comment?

Thanks
Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation.
                -- Johnny Hart