[plug] [Slightly-OT] Computer for Paralysed

Arie Hol arie99 at ozemail.com.au
Thu Sep 15 18:03:04 WST 2005

On 15 Sep 2005 at 8:37, simon wrote:

8<--------- snip ---------->8
> Actually, has anyone thought about starting a project around this sort of
> stuff? Maybe not for a robotic exoskeleton (:roll:) but input devices etc.....
> I can imagine having some way to move the mouse pointer (chin? eyes?) and
> speech recog would go a long way........
>
> Its not out of the realms of possibility - maybe something to think about for
> the hacker's nights?

A few years ago in Denmark there was a severely disabled guy who had some electronics buffs build a
keyboard and trackball type pointing device which responded to puffs of air.

Each key on the keyboard was replaced by a small "funnel" inside which was a sensor that detected
air movement, when a key was puffed on - the sensor responded with/like a key press.

The track ball had sensors in a circle instead of the ball in a socket. I think there was a sensor
at positions to match a clock face i.e. 12 in a circle. plus a sensor for mouse clicks in the
middle.

Both keyboard and trackball were operated by a mouth piece which was made to fit over the teeth or
gums like a denture, except that there was a plastic tube poking out the front.

The tube served two purposes - one to conduct puffs of air to keyboard and track ball - and the
other use was to allow the user to put the mouthpiece into a special stand for storage when not in
use, this also made it easier for the user to "pick up" the mouth piece each time he came back to
the computer.

The keyboard also had a clear latex overlay with recesses that fit over the funnels on the sensors,
this allowed people who could type with  their fingers to use the same keyboard and it also acted a
a dustcover for sensors which were installed under neath.

I cannot remember which magazine I read it in, but I will try try to find it. If I can.

Regards Arie