[plug] compile source for gcc3.3 to work on pc with gcc4? (on debian)

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Sep 15 22:12:56 WST 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-15 at 21:13 +0800, Daniel wrote:
> Hi Plug,
> just wondering if I am heading in the right direction here.
> For source that won't compile on gcc4 that compiles on gcc3.3:
> How should I approach it?

Ideally, fix the source code ;-) . gcc4 is usually just a bit fussier
about some sorts of serious warnings, treating them as errors instead.

Failing that, I'd probably build a static binary. gcc3 and gcc4 are not
ABI compatible ( for C++ anyway - I don't know if their C ABI is ) so
mixing libraries compiled with both versions might have some
"interesting" results.

> Should I just try to compile the code statically and copy the
> executable?

Yeah, or build a deb with a static copy of the app and copy that over.

--
Craig Ringer