[plug] compile source for gcc3.3 to work on pc with gcc4? (on debian)

Daniel cottmain at plug.linux.org.au
Thu Sep 15 21:13:47 WST 2005

Hi Plug,
just wondering if I am heading in the right direction here.
For source that won't compile on gcc4 that compiles on gcc3.3:
How should I approach it?
Is it anything like:
---- on a pc with gcc3.3 -----
            //  so I can make deb file to install anywhere:
sudo apt-get install checkinstall
            //  then in the right directory for the program:
            // -static to hopefully get no linked libraries:
./configure -static
 make
 sudo checkinstall
---------
to make a deb file I then copy to install on the pc with gcc4?
by going
dpkg -i newfile.deb
--------
Are there any problems I might encounter with dpkg (different versions
etc)? Should I just try to compile the code statically and copy the
executable?

Anyway thanks for any help.  Hope I'm not heading off in the wrong
direction too much.

Cheers,
Daniel.