[plug] Mandrake LE2005

Richard Meyer meyerri at westnet.com.au
Fri Sep 16 14:02:49 WST 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-16 at 13:03 +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-09-16 at 11:29 +0800, David Dartnall wrote:
>
> > When a music disk is put into my cdrom drive, the kscd window appears
> > and the disk is played.
> > In kmix the only volume control slider on the output tab which has any
> > effect is the Headphone (and they work, with the mike producing sound in
> > the earphones when tapped).
> > The volume control on the panel has no effect.
>
> If it's playing through the analogue CD input, and the panel volume
> control is manipulating the PCM volume rather than the master volume,
> that's to be expected.
>
> Most cards let you control the CD input volume separately. Some players,
> though, "rip" the CD over ATA then play it through the PCM device. If
> yours was one of those, though, the panel volume should affect it.
>
> You should be able to adjust the CD volume separately on the mixer. See
> if there are any hidden panels, or try using "alsamixer" from the
> command line.

I can't really help with most of your questions, but if you can't get
any sound out of alsamixer, press "m" (for mute/unmute), and then you
should be able to adjust the volume.
Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation.
                -- Johnny Hart