[plug] Mandrake LE2005

David Dartnall darts at dialix.com.au
Fri Sep 16 20:05:16 WST 2005

Richard Meyer wrote:

>On Fri, 2005-09-16 at 13:03 +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
>

>>On Fri, 2005-09-16 at 11:29 +0800, David Dartnall wrote:
>>

>>>When a music disk is put into my cdrom drive, the kscd window appears
>>>and the disk is played.
>>>In kmix the only volume control slider on the output tab which has any
>>>effect is the Headphone (and they work, with the mike producing sound in
>>>the earphones when tapped).
>>>The volume control on the panel has no effect.
>>>

>>If it's playing through the analogue CD input, and the panel volume
>>control is manipulating the PCM volume rather than the master volume,
>>that's to be expected.
>>
>>Most cards let you control the CD input volume separately. Some players,
>>though, "rip" the CD over ATA then play it through the PCM device. If
>>yours was one of those, though, the panel volume should affect it.
>>
>>You should be able to adjust the CD volume separately on the mixer. See
>>if there are any hidden panels, or try using "alsamixer" from the
>>command line.
>>

>I can't really help with most of your questions, but if you can't get
>any sound out of alsamixer, press "m" (for mute/unmute), and then you
>should be able to adjust the volume.

Thank you to Craig and Richard - the cd volume can indeed be adjusted
separately on the mixer, but I find alsamixer confusing!

It looks as though I've still some need for help. Trying to configure
the system using KDE's configuration window produces the following error
message:

Sound server informational message:
Error while initializing the sound driver:
device: default can't be opened for playback (Device or resource busy)
The sound server will continue, using the null output device.

What does this signify?

Dave Dartnall