[plug] Help with Gentoo rc scripts wanted

Richard Meyer meyerri at westnet.com.au
Sat Sep 17 19:51:34 WST 2005

Hi all,

I'm playing with Gentoo 2005.1 at the moment, and I have to say it's
rather nice. One problem is I can't get it to boot into a graphical
logon. It says that it's achievef runlevel 3 and that's it. I did do the
"rc-update add xdm default" thing after changing the display manager in
rc.conf to kdm-3.3.2 (which gets me kde after a startx) , but no ....

Extracts from /etc/rc.conf follow

> # What display manager do you use ?  [ xdm | gdm | kdm | entrance ]
> DISPLAYMANAGER="kdm"

and

> # Defaults depending on what you install currently include:
> #
> # Gnome - will start gnome-session
> # kde-<version> - will start startkde (ex: kde-3.0.2)
> # Xsession - will start a terminal and a few other nice apps
>
> XSESSION="kde-3.3.2"

.. and, yes, I will upgrade to KDE 3.4 "Real soon, now"

Any ideas?

TIA
Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation.
                -- Johnny Hart