[plug] Help with Gentoo rc scripts wanted

Richard Meyer meyerri at westnet.com.au
Sat Sep 17 20:41:06 WST 2005

On Sat, 2005-09-17 at 19:51 +0800, Richard Meyer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm playing with Gentoo 2005.1 at the moment, and I have to say it's
> rather nice. One problem is I can't get it to boot into a graphical
> logon. It says that it's achievef runlevel 3 and that's it. I did do the
> "rc-update add xdm default" thing after changing the display manager in
> rc.conf to kdm-3.3.2 (which gets me kde after a startx) , but no ....
>
> Extracts from /etc/rc.conf follow
>
> > # What display manager do you use ?  [ xdm | gdm | kdm | entrance ]
> > DISPLAYMANAGER="kdm"
>
> and
>
> > # Defaults depending on what you install currently include:
> > #
> > # Gnome - will start gnome-session
> > # kde-<version> - will start startkde (ex: kde-3.0.2)
> > # Xsession - will start a terminal and a few other nice apps
> >
> > XSESSION="kde-3.3.2"
>
> .. and, yes, I will upgrade to KDE 3.4 "Real soon, now"
>
> Any ideas?
>
> TIA

Bad for to reply to your own posts, but it's the /etc/inittab. Drat I
thought that was updated automagically when you entered the rc-update,
but it appears not.

Sometimes I spend hours on problems and find it's the obvious stuff ....
jeez.

Just as well no-one replied yet - I'd be embarassed.

Enjoy the weekend, people.
Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation.
                -- Johnny Hart