[plug] Back-up via SMB ?

Richard Meyer meyerri at westnet.com.au
Sat Sep 17 19:59:35 WST 2005

On Sat, 2005-09-17 at 19:48 +0800, Timothy White wrote:
> Both Linux machines I gather?
>
> NFS mount (You /can/ just use SMB) with rsync?
>
> Fairly easy to get running. Can preserver symlinks and stuff like
> that. Not sure if symlinks work over SMB, they 'do' work over NFS
> though.
>
> Tim

If they are both Linux boxen, use rsync and use a command similar to

> rsync -avzc --delete -e ssh /home/user1 user1 at machine2:/mnt/download2/user1_bkp

This uses SSH to connect my two boxen, and copies the whole /home/user1
directory to machine2 on the /mnt/download2 area (which is an old disk I
use for backups only) - I'm fairly sure that preserves symlinks as well.

or just use scp with the -r and -p switches to preserve date, time and
permissions - dunno about symlinks, though

Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation.
                -- Johnny Hart