[plug] Back-up via SMB ?

Kai vk6ksj at westnet.com.au
Sun Sep 18 00:48:03 WST 2005

Richard Meyer wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-09-17 at 19:48 +0800, Timothy White wrote:
>
>>Both Linux machines I gather?
>>
>>NFS mount (You /can/ just use SMB) with rsync?
>>
>>Fairly easy to get running. Can preserver symlinks and stuff like
>>that. Not sure if symlinks work over SMB, they 'do' work over NFS
>>though.
>>
>>Tim
>

> If they are both Linux boxen, use rsync and use a command similar to
>

>>rsync -avzc --delete -e ssh /home/user1 user1 at machine2:/mnt/download2/user1_bkp
>

> This uses SSH to connect my two boxen, and copies the whole /home/user1
> directory to machine2 on the /mnt/download2 area (which is an old disk I
> use for backups only) - I'm fairly sure that preserves symlinks as well.
>
> or just use scp with the -r and -p switches to preserve date, time and
> permissions - dunno about symlinks, though

Yes, they are both linux boxen...Debianites are not gunna wanna hear
this but the current server if FC3, the temporary is FC4. I'll clean
install the original server to FC4 once all the data is backed up.

I'll have a read about rsync and prolly give it a go tomorrow arvo, I
would give it a go during the day but we have a parade and festival here
happening tomorrow and I'm in it, should be fun anyway :)

FYI, photo's from last years...
Parade: http://www.vk6ksj.net/gallery/album17
Boat racing: http://www.vk6ksj.net/gallery/album18

Thanks for the help guys !