[plug] Linux training for home newbies

Arie Hol arie99 at ozemail.com.au
Sun Sep 18 20:46:31 WST 2005

On 18 Sep 2005 at 18:41, Mr E_T wrote:

> On Sunday 18 September 2005 12:08, Daniel Pearson wrote:
> > Probably this mailing list would be your best bet.. grab something like
> > Ubuntu (http://www.ubuntulinux.org/), install, and have a play around
> >
> > As problems arrive... post messages to the list :)
> >
> > Cheers; Dan
> Nt quite what I meant - I know and use linux - in fact I use a LFS
system
> ( Much modified)
>
> I was actually wondering if there was anyplace here in Perth where
someone
> could learn a bit about linux in a class type situation?
>
> As one reason ppl dont use linux is because they have nowhere to learn
it.

> Windows is taght all over - but not linux basics.
> --

Many years ago (1998) TAFE had some modules known as

ITH406 - Operating Systems - Theory	(DOS & Windows)
ITH407 - Operating Systems - Practical	(DOS & Windows)
ITH408 - Using A Multi-user Operating System	(Unix)
ITH409 - Management Of A Multi-user Systems	(Unix)

You had to pass ITH406 and ITH407 , before you could enrol in ITH408 and
ITH409

The unix modules were fairly straight forward :

Unix Utilities & commands -
Basic shell scripting -
Basic C programming -

I do not know if these modules are still available or if they even have
the same names - but I think that most newbies who want to become an
enrolling student may need to satisfy some pre-requisites before TAFE
would accept their enrolment.

Unless the enrollee can get through in with RPL (Recognised Prior
Learning) but even that takes an assessment and costs money.

Perhaps if there was enough demand in the right places, TAFE might
develop a social conscience and commence a beginners introductory course
of some kind.

Regards Arie