[plug] Linux training for home newbies

Alex Polglaze apolglaze at book-keepingnetwork.com.au
Mon Sep 19 08:47:42 WST 2005

Senectus . wrote:

> I can't see this becoming a reality too soon, the resources of our
> little group are already showing signs of being tapped beyond their
> availabilities.

Plus Bill's sentiments also added here.

We have got my inlaws a computer and set them up with OO. They can run this
quite well, however we did get them to go to a TAFE course for seniors and do
Word. Trying to make the from their Word training to OO means that we have to
translate their notes and experiment ourselves in order to answer their questions.

It was only last week that I was looking myself for an OO training course.

Obviously, there is a need for this, see previous posts. So what we need here is
a bit of lateral thinking.

The most knowledgeable Linux people in this city are generally subscribers to
this list. So, what we need to do is to present a united, professional front and
as an organisation, approach TAFE to supply lecturers for a course. They have
all the infrastructure and can do the advertising etc.

As a group, we need to provide a coherent, sensible training course to Linux. By
this I mean, we don't start out that there are 27 flavours of Linux and you can
do this with this and you need that with that. This may offend some devotees of
particular distros, but the fact remains that divide and conquer is the
effective strategy employed by us to stop any main stream penetration.

Who would be the lecturers?

There are many self employed practitioners in this group who may have the time
to undertake this task. It may be that different people present different
aspects of the system. One for installation, one for networking and somebody
else for OO. etc.. We can provide a complete range of Linux introductory courses.

This is just a suggestion, but at least it may go someway towards making a
breakthrough that we are all desperately waiting for.

Alex Polglaze