[plug] Back-up via SMB ?

W.Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Mon Sep 19 11:33:47 WST 2005

something like (all one commandline):

tar -c -p -f - --exclude '/usr/portage/distfiles/*' --exclude
'/var/tmp/*' --exclude '/proc/*' / |ssh Tom.localdomain 'cd /mnt/gentoo
&& tar xvpfi -'

(check the above before using, I am not sure its totally correct, but
should be close)

If you need a compressed transfer (will usually slow things up unless
you have a slow connection) you can stream it via bzip2 as well.

BillK