[plug] Back-up via SMB ?

Kai vk6ksj at westnet.com.au
Mon Sep 19 10:46:53 WST 2005

Timothy White wrote:
>>I wanna fix my server so I'll give it a go asap and post here with feedback.
>
> Just a suggestion. Regardless of what method you end up using to
> transfer the files. You might want to also do a tar backup, so that
> you know if they transfer fails, that tar file *should* have
> everything exactly right, symlinks included.
>
> Remember... Backups never hurt, it only hurts when you don't have them! ;)
>
> You probably also want to do some testing with the temp machine before
> you wipe the old server to start from scratch!
>
> Tim

I was thinking about a tar backup too, because sure as eggs if I don't
have a backup I'll need it !

Hehee, the temp machine will be given plenty of testing before I wipe
the old one. Once the data's transferred I'll put the temp machine on
live for a while (week or two) and see if anything breaks. :)

Cheers
Kai