[plug] Help with Gentoo rc scripts wanted

Richard Meyer meyerri at westnet.com.au
Mon Sep 19 13:25:29 WST 2005

On Mon, 2005-09-19 at 12:48 +0800, W.Kenworthy wrote:
> Blockers happen every now and again.  What has happened in KDE's case is
> the underlying mix pf packages has changed, so they force a manual
> removal of that package before you can continue.  This is to minimise
> breakages and make sure that the admin is aware of whats happening.  It
> could have been made automatic, but "control" is what this is about.

Agree about control, and I have to admit that it was a good upgrade from
KDE 3.3 to 3.4

> To fix, "emerge unmerge kde-base && emerge world -uDvp" to see what
> changes have been made.  Then an "emerge world -u" will roll the changes
> in if you are happy with them, or do it individually if you need to
> modify the order/mix.

Will try that.

> The portage manual should describe the process in detail if needed.

It's on my list of "things to do" I have the docco downloaded, so it's
not too difficult. I suppose I really wanted a second opinion as to
whether  what I wanted to do was correct. I planned to remove kde-base
and install kdm, and then retry kde.

Thanks for the help, Bill.

Using Gentoo for the first time is *almost* like using Linux for the
first time - all your reflexes are wrong ;-)

> BillK

Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation.
                -- Johnny Hart