[plug] Linux training for home newbies

simon simon at plumtek.com
Mon Sep 19 15:16:09 WST 2005

Mr E_T (troll at arach.net.au) wrote:

> How about we split this into three questions.
> 1) Would a linux introduction course cut down on inane or basic questions ?
> 2) What would the course/series contain ?
> 3) Where or with who would such a series be held ?

4) Is such a course a 'good thing' (tm)?

I learned linux with almost zero help from anyone. Everytime Ive tried to
'teach' linux to someone it has ended in abject failure. Im not saying its
impossible (my skills as a teacher leave a lot to be desired) but there is
something to be said about self-learning and the greater understanding that is
achieved.

> I agree that inane questions can get annoying. That is one reason taht I asked the
> originating question in the first place.
> I didnt expect that it would get to this extent.

I think there is an opportunity for a 'Using linux for the windows user' type
of course, but at the end of the day linux is pretty dry and cant be force
fed.

--
Simon Scott
simon at plumtek.com