[plug] Linux training for home newbies

Mr E_T troll at arach.net.au
Mon Sep 19 15:22:41 WST 2005

On Monday 19 September 2005 15:16, simon wrote:
> Mr E_T (troll at arach.net.au) wrote:
>
> > How about we split this into three questions.
> > 1) Would a linux introduction course cut down on inane or basic questions ?
> > 2) What would the course/series contain ?
> > 3) Where or with who would such a series be held ?
>
> 4) Is such a course a 'good thing' (tm)?
>
> I learned linux with almost zero help from anyone. Everytime Ive tried to
> 'teach' linux to someone it has ended in abject failure. Im not saying its
> impossible (my skills as a teacher leave a lot to be desired) but there is
> something to be said about self-learning and the greater understanding that is
> achieved.
>

> > I agree that inane questions can get annoying. That is one reason taht I asked the
> > originating question in the first place.
> > I didnt expect that it would get to this extent.
>
> I think there is an opportunity for a 'Using linux for the windows user' type
> of course, but at the end of the day linux is pretty dry and cant be force
> fed.
I have just spoken to computerangels and they basically teach just that without the system
admin stuff. As part of their $120 course they give a computer with a cut down debian system
on it to peaple who meat their criteria.

They have also stated that peaple can do the course without receiving a computer or even having
them install their system on the clients existing computer.

Their course however does not touch on the root/users model or other admin stuff.
Neither do they look at other desktops other than their own.
--
regs MR E_T