[plug] Linux training for home newbies

Gregory Orange gregory.orange at metoceanengineers.com
Mon Sep 19 15:59:29 WST 2005

simon wrote:
> Mr E_T (troll at arach.net.au) wrote:
>
> 4) Is such a course a 'good thing' (tm)?
>
> I learned linux with almost zero help from anyone. Everytime Ive tried to
> 'teach' linux to someone it has ended in abject failure. Im not saying its
> impossible (my skills as a teacher leave a lot to be desired) but there is
> something to be said about self-learning and the greater understanding that is
> achieved.

I would tend to agree with your view, but it prompts a question: Are we
interested in greater understanding ie 'better learning', or more people
accessing some sort of computer training (ok Linux training to remain in
context with this discussion), ie 'more learning'... ?

I state these as opposing factors because only a certain portion of
people are going to try it if there are larger barriers to getting into
it. I've tried to sound unbiased here, but I'll give up and say this: Is
Linux still only for those who have the skills[1] to learn how to use it?

[1] skills to learn how, or dedication/patience to muddle through anyway

> I think there is an opportunity for a 'Using linux for the windows user' type
> of course, but at the end of the day linux is pretty dry and cant be force
> fed.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'pretty dry' but - and I'll try to avoid
reciting the mantra 'Linux is what you make it' - it can be and has been
made to look and feel quite nice. eg I got my wife to sit down in front
of a machine running BeatrIX for 5 minutes, with positive results.
Perhaps "administrating a computer properly" is a pretty dry topic, but
that's life. If people don't want to pay someone every now and again to
fix a computer they don't know how to keep operating, they'll need to
learn themselves.
(I'm thinking of a car servicing analogy, but I don't like analogies for
IT stuff).
Of course, system administration of said machine may be a little off the
topic here. Are we talking about use, or management of, Linux machines?
Or something else...

Greg.