[plug] Mandrake LE2005

David Dartnall darts at dialix.com.au
Mon Sep 19 17:30:48 WST 2005

J Michael Gilks wrote:

>>When a music disk is put into my cdrom drive, the kscd window appears
>>and the disk is played.
>>In kmix the only volume control slider on the output tab which has any
>>effect is the Headphone (and they work, with the mike producing sound in
>>the earphones when tapped).
>>The volume control on the panel has no effect.
>>

>Maybe too late for a reply, but I also had this problem on Mandrake and heard
>of someone suffering on SUSE as well.
>Seems the problem was sound being muted on the centre channel of the 3d sound
>control.
>Kmix wouldn't help, so I thought I would show off my knowledge and use aumix
>( pretty pathetic showing off, but I take what I can get). Didn't work
>either.
>Had to use alsamixer on both installed machines to restore the centre sound
>and was sweet from there on.
>
>Hope this helps.

Never too late for me - I'm inclined to work for a while on a problem
the go on to something else and come back to it - Simon Scott's
suggestion re modprobe at least got sound up again (no midi) and Tim
White has passed on a couple of links which I've downloaded and printed
out but gone no further with yet. I fiddled with alsamixer without much
idea of what I was doing, and without success in bringing the main vol
slider back to life but will try again...
As far as the midi scene is concerned the Rosegarden docs seem to go for
fluidsynth, but Tim's other docs talk about timidity. I haven' got that
far yet. I'm the one who has more to learn than any of you guys.

Thank you J Michael.

regards
Dave D