[plug] Linux training for home newbies

Mike Holland myk.list at westnet.com.au
Mon Sep 19 18:24:04 WST 2005

Mr E_T wrote:

> The friend who wants to try linux is a pensioner and is having trouble with microsoft.
> They expressed interest in doing a small course/training class to get to know it better.

There are vast resources on the 'net.
Perhaps it would be good to run a half-day orientation course. First to
give and idea of what Linux can, and *cannot* do, and then to give them
a useful set of starting points on the web.

I believe that if people need more hand-holding than that, Linux is
probably not the best choice. Why do you want to evangelise Linux
to someone like that?  If they won't buy a Mac, the windoze is the
next best choice. NT/XP isn't so bad.

What the average person really needs is the fabled "internet appliance"
with firefox, e-mail and OO, remote administered by subscription. And
Linux inside, not that they need to know that. Just like linux is
running inside their ADSL router.
    Does anything remotely like that exist yet?

Karma be damned.