[plug] Linux training for home newbies

Arie Hol arie99 at ozemail.com.au
Mon Sep 19 20:55:05 WST 2005

On 19 Sep 2005 at 18:12, Craig Ringer wrote:

8<-------- snip ----------->8

> Arie, I'm not sure it's helpful to get back into this territory. Last
> time, all we got was a giant flamewar. Not your fault - what you were
> doing mostly got caught up in the issue, rather than being a core part
of
> it, and what you experienced as a result was regrettable. There is,
> however, more to it than what you have presented, and you know that.

I was merely pointing out to Mr E_T  that this question had been raised
to PLUG before and to let him know the outcomes of the previous attempt
to raise consciousness of asking for this possibility from PLUG.

8<-------- snip ----------->8

> Otherwise, let's wander quietly on by. We won't get anywhere having the
> same argument again, and last time that unpleasant incident cost PLUG
> members, annoyed a lot of people, and made the list largely useless for
> anything constructive for something like a week. If that argument needs
> be had again, let's have it somewhere else where we're not bothering
> people who're just trying to do useful, constructive things.

I didn't want to see another person coming to the same amount of grief,
as I did for being foolhardy to even bother trying.

8<-------- snip ----------->8

> > One PC is still running Redhat 5.## faultlessly and there has been No
> > tinkering - No updating - No optimising since it was built - the
owner

> I just hope it's never connected to the Internet! If so, it's time to
at
> least make really sure it has no listening services, and update the
kernel
> to the latest minor release.

The machine is connected to the internet and still runs without problems,
in the view of the current owner "If it isn't broken, don't fix it".

The owner is an aged pensioner who loves his Linux powered computer even
though he doesn't appreciate the differences between Linux and other
choices of OS ( and doesn't care). So long as it costs him nothing to own
and it works - while most of the people he communicates with over the
internet have Windows PC's that regularly cause/have problems.

Regards Arie