[plug] Firewall Distros

Kev kdownes at tpg.com.au
Tue Sep 20 08:29:37 WST 2005

Hi Tim

Timothy White wrote:
> What's wrong with running a stock standard distro with 'server'
> install? More freedom, no nasty under the floor magic that you can't
> see so if it breaks your in trouble...
> My preference is Debian of course. But even Ubuntu lets you do a
> server install. And seeing as a firewall is really only iptables, and
> sometimes squid...

Agreed!

  Why waste a box on that unless it's getting pounded
> or you doing something really special...

In a couple of nutshells ...

1. He may have (like me) an otherwise useless old box (Celeron 450,
384meg RAM and 2.1 gig hard drive), so why not?

2. As is being discussed in another thread right now, it's a great way
to learn - with a practical outcome aussi!

3. It helps me sleep peacefully, knowing I have a son (gaming) and a
wife (work requirements) using Wintendo on my network.

Unless those apply however, I do see your first points as entirely valid.

Cheers
Kev

Kev Downes
kdownes at tpg.com.au  ph 0404 7 0808 2
We use and recommend Xandros 3.0.2
There are 10 types of people ...
    ... those who understand binary, and those who don't!