[plug] Firewall Distros

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Tue Sep 20 08:41:34 WST 2005

Kev wrote:

> 1. He may have (like me) an otherwise useless old box (Celeron 450,
> 384meg RAM and 2.1 gig hard drive), so why not?

Incidentally, don't always write off machines of that spec as being
"useless" for desktop use.  It's within spec for the Computer Angels
distribution, for example (although the hard drive might be a bit
tight).  Our training machines are 300MHz P2s with less RAM than that
(128mb?) and they run quite nicely.  So if you wanted to you could run
a stripped-down Debian Sarge system with an XFCE desktop on that
machine.  It'd probably even run Ubuntu okay (just).

One of these days I'd like to rip the non-free and Computer
Angels-specific bits out of our distro, slap together a CD-based
installer and and make it available on the web so that other people
can play with it more easily.

Cameron.