[plug] Firewall Distros

J Michael Gilks mike.gilks at westnet.com.au
Tue Sep 20 23:06:41 WST 2005

> Timothy White wrote:
> > What's wrong with running a stock standard distro with 'server'
> > install? More freedom, no nasty under the floor magic that you can't
> > see so if it breaks your in trouble...

Mainly laziness I think. Smoothwall is easy low cost maintenance without me
having to worry about the setup too much.

>   Why waste a box on that unless it's getting pounded

I have been thinking during the day and thought that maybe one of the new ADSL
modem router combinations might be the go. As long as it can firewall the
network and route packets to a DMZ containing a home webserver this is all I
really need as DHCP, DNS etc is done internally.
Added bonus, I would have a spare machine to play with which wuldn't matter if
it wasn't working.

Still thinking.

Love
Mike.