[plug] debian problem

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Sep 21 11:36:44 WST 2005

On Tue, 2005-09-20 at 02:44 -0700, Al Agawa wrote:
> Hi, I have been using Fedora for a couple of your and
> I switch to debian.
>
> I was able to install debian remotely.  I have to
> offer on a server apache and postfix.  I was able to
> set them up.
>
> My problem, I cannot get them working on the internet.
>
> I used nmap xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (which is my server), the
> results says that it is filtered.

Some ISPs do port-scan detection and blocking. WestNet is one example -
I get different results when I portscan work's DSL from my home DSL
(also on WestNet) to what I see when I portscan it from work's co-lo at
Indigo Networks.

As such, it's not reliable to rely on port scans, at least not broad
scans of many ports.

The ISP port blocking suggested by Mark B sounds like the most likely
cause so far. A good way to test if this is the problem is to check if
moving Apache to a different port temporarily makes it accessible. Also
try setting up a listening netcat on your server, eg:

nc -l -p 9999

then telnetting to it:

telnet $IPADDR 9999

and seeing if (a) you can connect and (b) if you type anything, it shows
up on netcat's stdout.

--
Craig Ringer