[plug] TV card woes

W.Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Wed Sep 21 14:22:29 WST 2005

Check the lasa mixer, and oss mixer (in gnome they are both in the gnome
mixer applet.)  Check the config to make sure everyting is turned on.
Alsa is perhaps the biggest heap of crap from a Joe Average user point
of view in the linux desktop!  What I have found with my ancient card
using line-in, that some mixers seem to be chained as I can sometimes
get two (one delayed by a fraction of a second) audio streams at times.

Note that tvtime and mythtv tread on each other in the state they leave
the mixer on exit.  tvtime is the main culprit.  Also check that
arts/esd/jack etc are not using /dev/dsp which can sometimes give rise
to odd effects.

BillK