[plug] Re: [OT] Setting up Perth Offices for firms from other states

Ryan ryan at is.as.geeky.as
Fri Sep 23 11:37:18 WST 2005

> > I'm just wondering if firms ever actually do contact people from Perth
> > and ask them to setup their branch office or if they usually just fly
> > one of their own people over to do it.

On the flip-side:

My current place of employment is based in Perth and we have offices
around WA, over east and now in South Africa.

Rather than fly half of our two-man IT team around, I contact local
consultants to do the job under my pedantic instruction.  Generally they
are located through word of mouth.  While I'd happily fly around all day
plugging boxes in and then leaving, I have far more important things to
do here.

Depends on the size of the IT department and the company as a whole I
guess.   We have about a 1:70 IT:user ratio here at present, and the 70
are scattered all over the place.  Many are inaccessible to civilised
transportation too, so we are geared towards remote admin and set/forget
methods anyway.

Ryan