[plug] NFS and remote files systems

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Sep 23 14:07:05 WST 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-23 at 12:11 +0800, Ryan wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I'm trying to do some backups with a Solaris server.
>
> Unfortunately, mounting SMBFS shares on Solaris is messy if not
> impossible.

Have you looked at using smbclient? It doesn't require any in-kernel
support for SMB, NetBIOS, etc - it's happy with just TCP/IP. It'll
download the contents of an SMB directory and output a tarball for you -
see smbtar.

You might want to be careful to ensure that you don't need to back up
any ACLs, or files with NTFS streams, though.

--
Craig Ringer